It’s amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over the years, and never is that more apparent than when you’re packing up your home to sell or move. Clutter is actually a common problem, and as a home staging professional and real estate agent in Lake George and Bolton Landing, I’m often asked, “How do we get rid of all this junk?”
While you could host a garage sale, or the more modern “virtual garage sale”, where you put up a picture on social media and ask your connections to take the item off your hands, here are a few additional recommendations to help you de-clutter your Lake George or Bolton Landing home.
Donate Unwanted Furniture, Household Items & Clothes
- The Habitat for Humanity Southern Adirondack ReStore accepts a variety of appliances, furniture, fitness equipment, electronics and more, provided they meet their guidelines. You can drop-off your items at the store or request a free pick-up.
- The Salvation Army accepts donations of clothing, appliances, furniture and other household goods at their location on Quaker Road in Queensbury.
- Upstate NY’s Helping Hands accepts donations of clothing and small appliances at their location on John Street in Hudson Falls.
- Craigslist Curb Alert allows you to simply take a pic, post it and put it out to the curb for pick-up. An easy solution for fitness equipment, tires, tools and appliances.
- Facebook Marketplace makes it easy to sell things to people in your local area. Find step-by-step instructions for creating a listing in the help center.
- Many church parking lots and retail stores have donation bins for gently used, clean clothing and shoes. The Glens Falls City School Boutique, located in the basement of the high school, also accepts clothing donations for students. Call (518) 792-1212 for donation hours.
Dispose of Items that Cannot be Donated
- Call your waste removal company and see what they will take, then plan on throwing out extra items in your trash bins each week.
- Many items, including electronics, mattresses, appliances, furniture and tires may be disposed of at the Town of Lake George Transfer Station for a fee.
- There are also several companies that provide junk removal services, such as JDog Junk Removal and 1-800-Got-Junk.
More Tips for Home Buyers and Sellers in Lake George & Bolton Landing
For more insider tips from a home staging professional and real estate agent in Lake George and Bolton Landing, check out these Real Estate Tips for First-Time Home Sellers or find out how to Prep Your Lake George Home to Sell This Spring.
If you’re looking to buy or sell a home in the Southern Adirondacks, I’d love to put my 13+ years of experience and knowledge of the area to work for you. Give me a call at (518) 321-1870.